Running

Tuesday, September 8, 2009


On Friday Marc and I went for a run and had a new high of going 1 and 3/4 miles without a break. This week we should hit two miles. We are slow, and I think look really silly, but I am proud of us. My personal running trick is to look up at the mountains and sing "How Firm a Foundation" in my head, it keeps me going.

We also monitor the tall fast couple who run on the track at the same time we do each morning with a solid goal of increasing the time it takes them to lap us each day. Don't judge.

Speaking of judging, I have always thought that you couldn't claim to be a runner unless you actually run. Like when people all bright and breezily claim things like, "I ran five hundred miles this morning,"...I thought that meant they ran five hundred miles. Without stopping.

But apparently in run language you can say you ran, even if you spent some of that time walking. It's okay apparently. I've always been very careful to qualify my running statements by saying things like, "I ran this morning but I was being passed by snails," just because I don't want anyone to think I'm claiming to be an actual runner. They might see me sometime and laugh. But what you can count on is that if I say I ran, I did not walk. So. That's how I feel about it.

4 Responses to “Running”

  1. Beautiful. Not just that you've reached a running benchmark. Your writing is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you...you runner you! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Shelley! I am proud of you. Keep it up. I need to start doing that running thingy more too.

    ReplyDelete

Now you say something!

 

Copyright © Barnaclebutt | Premade Blog Design by Lilipop Designs