She's Driving in My Car!

Sunday, January 31, 2010

I think the phrase "mixed feelings" must have been invented by a parent with a child on the cusp of adulthood. Here is my beautiful daughter, who as of Friday can DRIVE, and it is totally freaking me out.


But before I make this all about me let me just say to Maddy how very proud I am of her. I told you you would pass! And you are the most amazing, lovely young lady and I am so happy for you!

Okay, back to my trauma. She is DRIVING people! And studying for her college entrance exam! And talking about prom! And you know what comes after that? Turning 17 in June...and then college next year...and then getting married and leaving me forever. Argh.

No joke I keep wandering in and out of the kitchen singing "Stay With Me," from Into the Woods like a crazy mother.

But then there's the good parts...like I've already been able to send her off to pick Jonathan up from a play date. And how excited I really am for her to have a fantastic college experience. And how proud I am of her super cool Maddiness (but I kind of wish she didn't keep her room like a hamster).

...and then I fantasize, briefly, about how nice and not hamster-nest-like her room will be when she does go off to college...

Since the thing I like best is pretty much staying home in my pajamas her being able to drive really is great. So great. But sometimes, just for a minute, I feel really sad.

I love you baby girl.

9 Responses to “She's Driving in My Car!”

  1. This post is making me feel old. I don't think you should let her drive, or go to college, or prom, or even look at boys. Maybe you should lock her in her little hamsteresque room and keep her little forever. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so beautiful! Just like her Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy reading your blog Shelly! I still think of Madison as a little precocious girl--I guess since I haven't seen her since then! We are getting old, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still recovering from when Madison asked me, "Grandma Diana, do you still drive?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Conflicted emotions pretty much sums it up, yes? I have a feeling that's what I'll be going through soon. My son's already telling me exactly how many days it'll be until he can get his learner's permit. I'm equally petrified and thrilled.

    (Thanks for letting me know about the post! I've been so busy, I've been rather absent from bloglandia lately!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. we are getting old really old and blog posts like this just remind me how fast. I am NOT embracing it as you are I am bitter and sad...lol Hopefully I will be able to "let go" soon. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh mom, couldn't you have put a cute picture of me? Otherwise it's ok, I won't crash

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I thought that was a cute picture.

    ReplyDelete

Now you say something!

 

Copyright © Barnaclebutt | Premade Blog Design by Lilipop Designs