I left you yesterday with a half baked dresser makeover. That was because I am blogging in real time and I had to hurry up and finish today so I could show you (and me) how it turned out.
I love it!
Here she is again before her makeover.
So, to the nitty gritty, I left you with a dresser with three coats of milk paint. I let it dry overnight and rushed down to the garage, I mean MY WORKSHOP (i'm trying to claim it) this morning excited to see some chippy goodness. It's supposed to just happen like magic. Unfortunately there was a lot of crackling, but very little chipping. In hindsight I think that the layer of shellac made the paint stick a little too well...but I'm pretty sure I needed it to prevent bleed through so... it is what it is.
Some of the MMSMP tutorials suggest running a spackle knife over the paint to help it flake off so I decided to try that, and what do you know? Some places did start to come off! I was hoping that a lot of the wood would show through so I was pretty rigorous in my application of pressure. Some areas gave up the paint really easily, mostly on the corners and edges, and some areas weren't having any of that nonsense.
When I had off all the paint that was going to come peacefully I gave the whole thing a good sand leaving it looking like this.
You can see how there is a part on the top where the thin wood veneer had broken off and the layer of wood beneath it was warping. I carefully considered all the options for attempting a repair, glue,clamps, patch and sanding and finally settled on plopping a doily over it that my Grandma had crocheted. Someday I'd like to try selling some of the furniture I paint, but since this piece if for me I decided camouflage would be
easier better than a repair.
The final step was to apply a layer of tongue oil over the whole piece. Here is a photo of my tools with the tongue oil that I bought at the hardware store.
The oil was super easy to apply, just rub in on and in with an old t-shirt and let it cure overnight. The oil seals and protects the wood and it also adds a tiny bit of sheen and deepens the color of the paint. I'm so happy with how it came out, perfect for the guest room, ah workout room, um office...that one extra little room is a bit schizophrenic.
I bought new knobs at Hobby Lobby.
It's possible I got a bit carried away playing dresser stylist.
Some bunny likes this dresser ;-)
P.S. It would make me so happy if you would leave a comment here on my blog. Even if it's to say you hate chippy furniture.
I linked up at Miss Mustard Seed