Slow Cooker Scallop Potatos

Monday, October 27, 2014

I feel like my life doesn't have as many creamy potato casserole type moments as it did when  I was a young girl blissfully ignorant of fat, calories, and the dreaded cholesterol.  And it is sad, sad because I really do love a rich, creamy, delicious scalloped potato with all my heart and stomach. So when Jonathan said he wanted creamy, cheesy potatoes with his birthday dinner I decided I was going to do those tots up right! Like, if I only get to eat them once or twice a year then by golly they are going to be WORTH it!

Also we would be at church before dinner at my Mom's house so I wanted to make them in the crockpot so they'd be ready take over there as soon as we got home.

After many minutes spent looking at pinterest for the perfect recipe and being disappointed, I realized it was up to me to create the ultimate dish...one that was creamy, but not bland...and I didn't want to dump cream of anything soup in it either.

So here friends is what I came up with. It is a mash up of a few recipes I read that sounded promising, along with my own tweaks seeing as I know best when it comes to fattening potatoes. They were a hit at the birthday dinner if I do say so myself. Do as I say and you will be happy when YOU get home from church next week!


Slow Cooker Scallop Potatoes

8 russet potatoes peeled and sliced
1 onion thinly sliced
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 and 1/2 blocks of cream cheese cubed
3/4 cups milk
truffle salt and black pepper
rosemary

First I mixed the onion and garlic in a bowl. This is what onions and garlic look like together. They look happy.
Next I sliced up the potatoes like so. Hi potatoes. I'm sorry we don't get to enjoy you more often.
Then I started making layers in the crockpot. First a layer of potatoes, then sprinkle with a pinch of truffle salt, a twist or two of black pepper, and a smidge of rosemary.
Certainly I am showing off when I say that my Sel a la Truffe was a gift my daughter brought back to me from her stay in France, but you are in luck because they also sell it at World Market and Williams Sonoma. It is good on EVERY VEGETABLE. Seriously. 

Okay back to layering, so potatoes, spices, then a layer of the onion and garlic mix. And finally, some of the cream cheese cubes you made. Here is what my first layer looked like.
I fit about two more layers in and then poured the milk over the top. Cover the entire confection and cook on high for 4 hours. Enjoy the smell of garlic potatoes! Take it all in.

After four hours I stirred the whole thing gently to distribute the cream cheesiness over all the tots, put the lid back and cooked it for another 1/2 hour.

And that is all. We were so busy eating I forgot to take a beauty shot of the goodness when it was all done...but here is a plate with the little bit of leftovers so you can see how it looks.
 It was yum. I hope you like it.

2 Responses to “Slow Cooker Scallop Potatos”

  1. Delighted to learn that I can get truffle salt at World Market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, il tartufo makes anything taste better! Shades of Italia!

    ReplyDelete

Now you say something!

 

Copyright © Barnaclebutt | Premade Blog Design by Lilipop Designs