A Bunch of Stuff

Monday, May 10, 2010

So far the TV experiment has resulted mainly in Marc and I watching a lot of TV on my laptop and Ellie watching Ella Enchanted maybe twenty times out on the biggie TV. Obviously it was not a perfect plan; some tweaking is in order. But we are saving $50+ dollars a month...so...that's good.

Yesterday I made Peking chicken for dinner and took it to my parent's house. I am still happy about how good the chicken turned out. The trick, according to my recipe, was to plunge each piece of chicken into a pot of boiling water for one minute to "render the fat" (whatever that means). For some reason that has been on my mind all day today. I think it's because I've been trying to loose weight and so the phrase "render the fat" is kind of fascinating to me. The result was that the skin was extra brown and crispy, just like in a restaurant.

I also went to the Asian market and got moo-shu wrappers and hoisan sauce.

Tomorrow Riley gets his summer hair cut. I love the way he smells when he gets back from the groomer. Like lavender. I love it so much that I will likely spend the better part of the afternoon with him on the couch. That sounds creepy. This is one of the weird things about blogging--when I write something like that and it's true, but sounds extra strange, I don't know if I should delete it or leave it in the interest of transparency? Because my life is SO important.

When the girls got home from school today Katie came running upstairs to tell me I had to come catch the "huge" lizard in their bathroom. I went to grab a Tupperware container and she was like "No! You need a bigger tupper!" It made me nervous but I just acted like it was fine and went downstairs. Sometimes if I act like something doesn't bother me then it actually won't. I got over killing spiders that way.

So the lizard was hiding under a toilet paper wrapper on the floor. I actually got it scooped in the container on the first try, but Maddie and Katie screamed so loudly when I lifted it up that I dropped the whole thing and it scuttled behind the sink. It wasn't too big, but it was bigger than most of the little lizards we see outside.

Of course Jonathan, the only one in our house who might actually like to catch a lizard, was out riding his bike.

So I completely lost my cool and screamed too, plus I screamed at the girls not to scream because they were making me screamy. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! Like that. Then I caught it a second time and let it go outside. It was extra long and slithered back and forth like a snake when it ran.

And that's my day.

4 Responses to “A Bunch of Stuff”

  1. Good day...but it took me a second to realize that Riley is a dog and not a kid...my bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a bunch of comments for a bunch of stuff! I think you and Marc should come over here to watch tv...we are already paying for it and Dave is always out of town so you could help me make it worth it!
    I think Ella Enchanted is the best girl movie! I can just see Ellie giggling.
    I think I got over my fear of killing spiders in my house the same way. You know, just by pretending that it didn't bother me. But it still does. So usually I scream while I am killing the spider. I imagine it is screaming, too. But, it if it is outside, then it gets to live!
    Is Peking Chicken allowed on FF? It sure sounds good.
    Ummm...oh, one more comment...I think you are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry...that was a long comment now that I look at it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is a big Alligator Lizard! Good job. So are you uber productive now that you don't have as much T.V. watching to do? When are we going to go Saturday morning shopping again? Huh? When????

    ReplyDelete

Now you say something!

 

Copyright © Barnaclebutt | Premade Blog Design by Lilipop Designs