Tips for Painting for a Client

Thursday, June 18, 2015

tips for painting furniture
I finished these darling pink and gold pieces for a client a couple of weeks ago. It was so fun painting for her, when we were discussing color she told me she wanted something super bright and that to her red and gold are like neutrals. The hot pink is perfect for her!
pink dresser
I've just started painting for other people, and my learning curve is pretty steep but there are two things that I feel clearer about after this project.

First, I am an easily bored baby with a minuscule attention span and about half way through any project I start thinking about the next thing I want to do. When it's my own stuff I can flit back and forth between projects like a bi-polar butterfly, but when a client has their daughter's clothes in stacks on the floor because I have her dressers it is better to get it done promptly. Like a professional. Which is what I am going to dress up as for Halloween this year.

 So, in order to facilitate the timely completion of a project, it helps if I start with the hard parts first. That way I get the most difficult stuff done while I'm totally focused on the project. 

In this case the hard part was painting the cubbies inside of the desk...

and the spindle legs on the little table.
Which brings me to the other thing I learned this time around. When determining a price for the work, remember to consider those difficult areas in your quote. The matching dresser that I painted (not pictured) took about half the time to paint as the desk, even though it was much larger. 

Working on these pieces was super fun! I love the hot pink-and it matches Muffy's outfit quite well, eh? And Marc thinks it's silly for a grown woman to dress teddy bears...

Just for fun, here is a before photo too.
Linking up

One Response to “Tips for Painting for a Client”

  1. What a timely post. I've just started painting for clients as well and I have the attention span of a fruit fly. I've also grossly underestimated cost for what I call "fiddly work". So when a lady approached me for bookcases, I actually turned her down. (That was a first for me!) All those cubes aren't worth my crawling around on the ground for hours and I'm trying to keep costs down for clients. I'd love to share this post on my weekend features page if you're ok with that.
    PS. Love, love, love this pink desk so much!

    ReplyDelete

Now you say something!

 

Copyright © Barnaclebutt | Premade Blog Design by Lilipop Designs