Sunday's Lessons

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I am thankful for plums

When I go to church, a lot of times I hear things that I already know, but for some reason a certain principle or lesson will really stick out and feel new and important.

Last Sunday that happened, and I've been thinking about it all week. I've wanted to share my insights, but I'm strangely weirded out about sharing spiritual things on my blog. I just hate to be sappy. But I keep feeling like it's a-time to write it down so here goes.

There is a story about one of the Mormon pioneers who traveled across the country to Utah with the Martin Harris Handcart company. This particular group left late in the season and got stuck in the ice and snow and many of the members of the company died. Years later a group of Mormons were discussing the poor judgement of church leaders in letting the group leave so late in the year.

At some point an old man spoke up and said he had been an actual member of the very company they were criticizing. He said a lot of stuff (I'm not getting into it because I don't want to cry) but ended by saying that the sacrifices and hardships he suffered on that trek were the price he paid to know Jesus Christ and it was worth it.

Then in Sunday school our lovely teacher, Vicki, pointed out a pattern of sacrifice that goes like this: sacrifice leads to faith, faith leads to a testimony of Christ, that testimony gives us the power to endure all things, and enduring until the end brings us eternal life.

Does that make a light bulb go off in anyone else's head? Although I could have explained all of this before Sunday, on this Sunday it felt different. I feel like any hardship or sacrifice I have been through, is infinitely worth it, if it brings me closer to my Savior. My trials are tiny, but I am grateful for any sorrow that has brought me to my knees and made me recognize God's hand in my life.

And that's all I'm saying because I can tell I am on the very verge of sapaliciousness but I did want to thank Dayna and Vicki for their insights. They are good, righteous women and I am so happy to know them.

3 Responses to “Sunday's Lessons”

  1. I've heard that story before, and it always brings tears to my eyes. It's one of my favorites--especially since I have no pioneer blood in me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Shelley. I know our trials pale in comparison, but they are ours, and we own them! I am just grateful to know that Heavenly Father won't give us more than we can bear. What a comfort that is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I LOVE this post. Y'know what's the funny thing? I have to give a talk this coming Sunday about sacrifices made by the pioneers and how it helped them grow. And your post was completely inspired because it has the EXACT message that I want to portray. So, for one Sunday, in the Heritage 9th ward in South Jordan, Utah... you shall be famous. ;]

    ReplyDelete

Now you say something!

 

Copyright © Barnaclebutt | Premade Blog Design by Lilipop Designs