Make an Adorable Tiny Crocheted Pincushion

Monday, October 6, 2014


I was playing on Pinterest (fondly known by Marc as Pin Interest) the other day and stumbled on some sweet little crocheted pincushions. And I wanted some. Maybe lots? I love cute little things.

Unfortunately, the directions were all in Dutch. I think. Actually I don't know what language it was for sure. All I knew was that it was on like Donkey Kong. I would have to use my wits and cunning to figure it out. Okay, like, it's a square, but still, I did figure it out...so that's cool.

 I can't actually teach you how to crochet since I just learned from my Grandma when I was a little girl plus I'm a lefty and yarn things go wonky when I try to teach people, but if you already know or can teach yourself from watching youtube, then I can tell you how to make these little cuties. They are super easy and a little addictive.

I didn't follow a pattern, and I don't know how to write one...I guess leave a comment if you have a question about anything.

First, chain 15 for your length and then chain 3 more to be your first double crochet.

Next, double crochet 15 times and then turn your row counter clockwise to start the next row. Chain three to be your first double crochet of the next row and then double crochet 14 more back the other way.

Keep it up until you have a rectangle that is about 6 inches long. Tie off your yarn and cut it leaving a short tail.

Fold the rectangle in half, right sides out (if you can tell what the right side is, they both looked the same to me)and crochet the edges together using a simple chain stitch. This will give you even stitches to attach your scallop edge to.

Stop when you have 3 1/2 of the edges closed and stuff your little muffin with polyfill. Get it nice and plump and then finish stitching the whole thing closed.

To add the ruffle or scallop edge you're going to pick a corner as a starting place. Do a double crochet and then two more double crochets into the same hole so all three are in the same stitch. 

Then do a slip stitch into the same loop. And chain two. Skip the next two loops or spaces and then do three double crochets into the third space. Repeat the process.

I think this is hard to explain but I just found a really nice video on youtube for you to watch. This isn't exactly how I did it, but her scallop looks lovely and it's much easier to look and learn.

And there you have it! Sweet little pincushions to share with your friends. Ellie was watching me make them and asked to take one to school to use in her sewing class-I felt validated. 



Post a Comment

Now you say something!

 

Copyright © Barnaclebutt | Premade Blog Design by Lilipop Designs